Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What is a "Honyock"?

My lady asked me this, and it occurred to me that I don't really know what it means. I've heard my dad use the phrase, and Lawdog uses it, but I don't know what it really means. I did a search for the word and found this in wikipedia (gotta love the wiki):

Etymology

The word first appeared in print in the late 19th century, often applied to people who were unwelcome among their family, friends and/or community. A common theory of the origin of this word is the merger of the first syllable of the word Hungarian and the last syllable of the ethnic slur Polack. However, a more likely origin is the Hungarian adjective hanyag, which has a variety of negative meanings including careless, sloppy, slothful, and slow.

[edit] Alternative spellings

[edit] Noun

Singular
honyock


Plural
honyocks

honyock (plural honyocks)

  1. (US, slang, derogatory) An immigrant to the United States from east-central Europe.
  2. (US, slang, derogatory) A rube or simpleton.
  3. (US, slang) A hardscrabble farm (this usage known in parts of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alberta and Saskatchewan)
Careless, sloppy, slothful, and slow...sounds like the caller I dealt with in my previous post, so my use of the descriptive was correct.

Given that my brain is wired for language, I find information like this very interesting. It's fascinating to find out where certain words and phrases originated. I suspect Lawdog's brain is wired in much the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment